MSO Composition Competition
February 19, 2019
The Mississauga Symphony Orchestra has launched its first competition aimed at local composers! The competition will award three cash prizes and the opportunity for the winning composition to be performed live by the orchestra during the 2019/2020 season!
This exciting opportunity is available to all Mississauga based composers who are interested in participating. There is no age restriction.
- Brief biography and CV.
- A sample of past works. PDF score is ideal, but recordings are allowed.
- One page written concept of the proposed new composition using the guidelines listed below.
- Work should be approximately 5 – 8 minutes.
- The work should be written for an ensemble with the following orchestration:
2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 french horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, 1 tuba, timpani, standard percussion and strings. Slightly smaller or larger orchestration can be discussed.
- Selected finalists will write a work for the 2019/20 season.
- The work will be read by the MSO in the fall and performed at a later date.
1st Place: $1,500
*the winning piece will be performed in the 2019/20 season.
2nd Place: $1,000
3rd Place: $500
Deadline for Submissions: March 31, 2019.
Submissions are to be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finalists will be announced by April 15, 2019.